Author Topic: Tim and Olle's homebuilds  (Read 317 times)

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
Tim and Olle's homebuilds
« on: October 14, 2020, 04:14:01 PM »
Hopefully they can post more info and tips.

Tim Preston

• Contributor
Re: Tim and Olle's homebuilds
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 11:10:11 PM »
Had a night in my ledge (the blue one above) up a tree for the Big Canopy Campout. I was a bit worried the ripstop nylon was too thin, I grabbed it in a rush from a friend in town to get it ready for the campout. Turned out I didn't rip through in the night thought I had my escape planned.
Overall the portaledge turned out great. It's got Johns awesome frame which proved supper strong even with 4 point suspension. Stretch in the fabric spread the load a bit but the sides flexed in a little. I got some good ideas from Olle on spreading the suspension and have had some thoughts about supporting the sides but it all adds complexity and weight. I'll give this setup a go for a few trials before I make changes. I suspect the tubes at the central join will flare but Johns bullet joins certainly hold well enough.
I've had a couple of goes at DIY protaledges and both where heavy and complex to set up so John's flick deploy is fantastic. Overall it is light, folds down well and is easy to set up. Will see about the durability of the fabric but it won't get a hard life with me!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:24:45 PM by Tim Preston »

Tim Preston

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 11:19:56 PM »
photo from campout

Tim Preston

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 11:22:31 PM »
Happy camper