Author Topic: D4 Octapod Mt. Hooker  (Read 509 times)

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
D4 Octapod Mt. Hooker
« on: August 26, 2020, 03:34:02 PM »
Chris writes:
Date: August 27, 2020 at 3:03:07 AM GMT+10
To: John Middendorf

Hey John,
Sorry it took me a while to send these pictures and videos. Feel free to use them for whatever you want. Thank you for the great ledge! It was definitely a tight fit for two but the lightness was worth it. During the 17 mile hike in, we were glad to only carry an additional 5kg. It also felt very nice while hauling and allowed us to take extra water. It kept us warm on two cold windy nights on Hooker. The first night was a perfect setup above a small rock ledge that was far too small for the two of us. It kept the wind at bay very nicely that night. The second night setup was not as optimal because we could only find a spot with poor pro that needed to be made into a giant nest anchor and equalized low. The ledge was at an odd angle but it performed really well. It rained on us that night and we stayed completely dry. The Taco effect did not happen either night so it seems as though the square pole design worked. 

Some notes: 
It would have helped to have a slightly more durable material on the upper section of the haul sack. We did manage to wear a hole there during our two and a half days of hauling. A small clip in loop at the bottom would be nice for attaching a poop tube and would allow the user to turn it into a backpack using slings. When carrying down from the summit and across big ramp traverses, we had to carry the ledge so this would have helped.  

Thanks for the great ledge! I'm stoked to try it out on more alpine big walls in the future. I'll make sure to send more pics as more trips happen.

Best, 
-Chris