Poll

What’s better-easier set up? Or foolproof buckle system that take a bit more to thread?

Simple cam buckle
0 (0%)
Harness double buckle system
0 (0%)
Weaker metal fastex or g-hook
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Delta2P in Yosemite : Finishing Laughing at the Void July 3rd-5th  (Read 456 times)

Failfalling

• Contributor
  • Climb More Obscure Routes
    • Fail Falling Blog
Preparing the thread for when details once I'm back.

Prototype #4
Ledge and Bag = 11.6 lbs
Fly = 2.9 lbs
Total = 14.5 lbs

Y'all can convert to kg on yer own.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 09:45:05 AM by Failfalling »

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
Re: Delta2P in Yosemite : Wet Denim Daydream July 3rd-5th
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 04:03:09 PM »
Very cool.  This is as real as a review gets--I look forward to your unfiltered thoughts on the new design.  Thanks.

Failfalling

• Contributor
    • Fail Falling Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 04:48:38 PM »
It'll def feel weird to bring a ledge up on Leaning Tower but the photo possibilities!!! Plus it'll be a team of three for both of our next weekends.

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 08:01:06 PM »
14.5 lbs= 1/2 weight of BD Cliff Cabana.  Packs much smaller too.  Not quite as big deployed, but more comfortable with two with back to the wall design, I reckon.  Interested in your thoughts of the need for divider.  Next version will incorporate a sew-on top venter fin design(I want to keep the integrity of one piece main bed fabric.)

Failfalling

• Contributor
    • Fail Falling Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 08:17:15 PM »
We'll test one man sleeping in it and two poeple the next night so I'll make sure to respond on the need for a divider. Won't be able to see with these two weekends but if the fabric begins to sag over time the divider would be key one would assume

So far the haul bag is a bit big, when it's packed with the fly it still has a lot of dead space in the bag but was initially difficult to get the ledge into the bag so a smaller bag may not be beneficial.

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
Re: Delta2P in Yosemite : Finishing Laughing at the Void July 3rd-5th
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 06:15:06 PM »
One issue coming in is the placement of the center cam buckle.

With this delta frame shape, it's possible to tension the bed like no other portaledge has ever been tensioned before, thanks to the widening shape, which tensions the fabric side-to-side, as well as lengthwise.

I used a strong Cam buckle for this purpose, as a great deal of force can be generated on the single main pull.
(the two outside "G-hook" are made of stainless, and are used to initially pull the side sleeves up, once the main bed is tensioned with the center pull, the bed-tension load is mostly on the wall-side pole, as designed.

It's possible to press down on the cam buckle, loosening it by accident, and when that's the case, it's necessary to exit the ledge to re-ternsion the bed, as the bed can really get drum tight with this new frame and bed D4 portaledge design.

So thinking of alternatives now.

Note that the fastex type tensioners, even the metal ones, break at about 400 lbs, and because the main load is on one buckle and distributed pole load, this center buckle on the D4 Delta2p needs something stronger.  The goal is to be able to tension properly, but not accidently loosen the cam buckle.  I could conceivablly put the cam buckle on the bottom, as the ledge seems to only need to be tensioned once.

That's probably it.  Hopefully sending out a proto to some kids in Queensland who are doing a fund raiser for a Cambodian support Raw Impact, so might modify with buckle on bottom for that one.

Thoughts, Kevin?

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 08:35:59 PM »
Batch 2

Failfalling

• Contributor
    • Fail Falling Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »
Back from another weekend on the wall with the Delta 2P.

Unfortunately didn't get a chance to use the fly because i left it on the ground with the ghgear we weren't going to use (whoops) will set it up and test it out this week in my backyard.

Positives:
- I set it up and tore it down from a freehang for the first time and it's by far the easiest 2p ledge I've ever dealt with. Almost puts itself together and doesn't fight to reassemble as much as the trap and octopod do when tearing it down.

To Be Improved:
- The biggest issue that needs to be fixed is the middle buckle that tensions the bed material. Ones is tensioned it rises up with the release level in a very easy to depress orientation. This makes it very easy to accidentally depress by stepping or leaning on it with your hand. If the ledge is already set up for the night is very difficult to retension without taking Everton of the ledge. I think the metal buckle might look better on its face but it causes more weight and failure modes  without benefit when compared to the normal weave through buckle like those used to tension the old A5 ledges. I wonder if installing the same buckle but upside down would help. One would still be able to tension but there would be less likelihood of the release level being engaged by stepping or leaning on it. There also always the idea of installing it underneath the ledge as most competent climbers are going to tension the ledge fabric while setting it up, not when they're situated on the ledge.
- My biggest unknown rightnow is going to be high winds like are found on the shield headwall. We watched from above as when both ledges had been left open, the D2P was flapping up and down in the wind whilst the a5 double was not. Considering I've had my single ledge lifted up by the wind and dropped in a storm when it had me, my personal gear, and my climbing rack inside the ledge, I wonder what the experience would be like in the D2P, especially without an expedition style contained fly.

Overall this is looking to be one of my go-to ledges for when I need two doubles (team of 4). I do wish it would pack down smaller (like the trap) but it's understandable for the full size nature of it. A little cozy for 2 so it will depend upon who I'm climbing with should I choose this over the normal double designs (or two singles) 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:38:13 AM by Failfalling »

Failfalling

• Contributor
    • Fail Falling Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 09:36:55 AM »
Pics

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 10:01:57 PM »
What’s better?  Bombproof harness 2-buckle system, or easier cam buckle that might get accidentally unloaded if pressed?