Author Topic: Delta2P in Yosemite : Laughing At The Void June 27th-29th  (Read 128 times)

Failfalling

• Contributor
  • Climb More Obscure Routes
    • Fail Falling Blog
Delta2P in Yosemite : Laughing At The Void June 27th-29th
« on: June 21, 2020, 01:41:02 PM »
Preparing the thread for when details once I'm back.

Prototype #4
Ledge and Bag = 11.6 lbs
Fly = 2.9 lbs
Total = 14.5 lbs

Y'all can convert to kg on yer own.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 03:03:30 PM by Failfalling »

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VI contributor
Re: Delta2P in Yosemite : Laughing At The Void June 27th-29th
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 11:14:50 PM »
Request for divider fin coming in (countdown).  Yes, i will plan a divider system for next version.  The Standard width of material just fits with wide width of the top of the Delta2p, so will be thinking of a system that can be sewn directly on bed—i have some ideas to make it strong and may offer more clip loops too.

Really looking forward to the objective review coming.  Details can be readily fixed in production version— mostly wondering about the ergonomics of the new design, and how it “fit” on the wall at bivys.  And suspension length adjustment issues, if any.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:39:59 AM by Deuce »

Failfalling

• Contributor
    • Fail Falling Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 10:18:35 AM »
Notes from using the ledge this weekend. 

Ground setup at the base
    * Tensioning buckle middle it upwards so it's conceivable that someone can sit or lean on it and detention the ledge
    * Side Tensioning bed buckles do not tighten very well, hard to use.
    * Roll top on ledge carrying bag doesn't allow the ledge biner to be outside the bag, so the straps and biner fall down through the ledge and can be hard to find when you open the bag and the straps get tangled. If the bag was waterproof then the roll top makes sense but not seeing why this bag is a roll top when it's not waterproof. I'll be using the bag without the roll top for this climb
    * Super easy to put ledge together with ground to move around.
    * Adjustments are finicky because of the dual tensioning of the middle straps and air side straps many many micro adjustments because adjusting the middle doesn't do anything until the air side are then adjusted so lots of guesswork
    * One person sleeping in the ledge is plush.

Notes from on the wall.
    * With two people a fin is definitely needed otherwise the two sleepers slide into each other. Fin should probably be straight down the ledge as sleeping with a head air-side can be uncomfortable because of the open holes in the bed material at the corners
    * When flagging the ledge, having the airside up is problematic because of the lack of length of the tensioning straps on the wall side
    * I'd like to see a little more (1' or so) of available strap on all tensioning straps.
    * Liking the low-places daisy loops on the straps
    * Am worried about heavy winds on this design, especially on a place like the shield headwall. Was not able to test this because the winds were not heavy during the trip.
    * Teardown on the wall from a freehang was not difficult for my partner who had never set up or taken down the ledge. He did comment on the bag being a bit tight to get the ledge in, maybe a bag that is a bit wider and more of an oval shape rather than a cylinder shape.
    * One positive of the design is the ability to setup two double ledges next to each other at a belay, since two "normal" double ledge take up so much space there's always an issue with them pushing against each other, but we were able to setup a double ledge next to the Delta2P and have space for the haulbag between them on a 3 bolt belay and setting the second ledge a bit to the side on an anchor in the a crack.
    * Have not setup the fly in the wild yet. Will do that next weekend.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:21:49 AM by Failfalling »

Failfalling

• Contributor
    • Fail Falling Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 01:29:53 PM »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 01:32:23 PM by Failfalling »

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VI contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 02:12:33 AM »
Great report.  Especially interested in how it “fit” better at belays.  Thanks for the input, and many of those details are being implemented.

Failfalling

• Contributor
    • Fail Falling Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 12:37:50 PM »
If you look at the photos. when it was setup on the ground, this was a typical corner system placement where a normal ledge would end up being at an angle between the edge of the system and that wall. Because of the thin width of the wall side, it show how the D2P "fits" in these sort of placements better with more stability because its straps aren't as far off enter for a corner system placement as a normal ledge would.

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VI contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 01:53:51 PM »
Getting close to kicking in production of these babies.  Will wait for Kevin’s next wall to hear of further details, like strap lengths, etc.  I will plan to make a first batch of 10 to interested climbers.  If you are reading this, send me an email deuce4@bigwalls.net if interested in one of the first batch.