Author Topic: Octopod Review and Extension "Foot Hammock"  (Read 128 times)

Kanagra

• Contributor
Octopod Review and Extension "Foot Hammock"
« on: December 05, 2019, 10:14:37 PM »
Octopod Review and Extension "Foot Hammock"

After spending a night using the Trapizum on an aid solo I was keen to try out Johns new Octopod design. Since then I've spent roughly 3 nights and numerous days on the ledge the last being a 2 day ascent of Ozzymandias using a custom foot extender "hammock" and two of us sharing the ledge.
Initial thoughts were the vastly increased surface area and volume compared to the Trapizum. This is owed to the more cylindrical design. Being 6'6" (200cm) my night on the Trapizum was cramped, my lower back and knees taking the toll. The Octopod while staying realitively the same weight has managed to allow Far more room and sleeping positions. Even with two people there are multiple Tetris like arrangements that allow for a comfortable few hours rest before having to inevitablity readjust.
For me the real game changer is in the foot extension,  it adds roughly 500grams of additional weight to the whole setup but allows two 6 foot + climbers to sleep comfortably, fully stretched out. Considering that the weight difference between the octopod and the alpine double is significant (3-4kg?) this 500gram addition effectively allows the same luxury (provided the weather is fair as it does not magicly increase the size of the fly). 
If the time spent on a wall is to be extensive I would recommend a bigger ledge that provides more room under the fly buy for 2-3 day ascents the octopod + leg extension is ideal in my opinion. Worst case if weather closes in it still allows a reasonable amount of room for two people to sleep and cook but the majority of the time a weather window for the climbing can also allow for a weather window for the sleeping.
On finishing our ascent of Ozzy we figgured we had likely taken one of the lightest haul loads possible (unless a hammock or simply biving on a ledge was employed). Our pig was so light we simply lifted the haul line up with an ascender installed upside down while capturing the progress with a micro trax.
Photos included of the foot extender, total cost was under $25 AUD and took roughly half a day with the use of a sewing machine. The adjustable cordage is dyneema spliced into a whoppie sling,  I recommend anyone unfamiliar with this splice to learn it as it is useful for an insane amount of things from foot loops for ascenders to creating lightweight rap anchors (equalising marginal blocks or trees Far away from each other).

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VI contributor
Re: Octopod Review and Extension "Foot Hammock"
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 10:20:54 PM »
Chris, this is fantastic!  I look forward to working with you on a production version.  Perhaps a foot tunnel feature/modification on the fly will also be the go.

Great innovative work!  Thanks!!

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VI contributor
Re: Octopod Review and Extension "Foot Hammock"
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 09:23:12 PM »
Video of Chris showing me here:  https://youtu.be/A3ZTxO9e64s