Author Topic: DIY Inflatable Bosun's Chair (belay in comfort!)  (Read 339 times)

Djdriftking

• Contributor
DIY Inflatable Bosun's Chair (belay in comfort!)
« on: September 22, 2020, 09:39:09 PM »
During my build for a homemade rain fly, I wanted to make a miniaturized version to physically test out how to implement corner pockets as described by D4 designs. I stuck an inflatable pillow inside of a tyvek mail bag (picture below) to form a generally rectangular shape. I found it surprisingly comfortable to sit on and the design idea not too different from my friend's G7 pod. I permanently borrowed a larger inflatable pillow and sewed up some 1000d fabric and webbing in the shape of a flying squirrel (also below) to wrap around the pillow.

The idea of it is that as long as the pillow is marginally wider than your hips, it holds the straps away from you body and creates an incredibly comfortable belay seat that can be deployed within seconds (4 lungfuls of air), and can be packed as as small as a regular camp pillow. My partner and I tested it out belaying about 10 pitches on tahquitz before we got hailed out and california has been on fire since so unfortunately I don't have any photos of it in use (ran into ocean with my phone the next day).

For the next version, I just got a leather iron from china, and I'm hoping to purchase some TPU material (maybe seattle fabrics or diy packraft?) soon to make a single layered version to test out once my entire state stops being on fire.

Pretty much anyone with a sewing machine and some fabric should be able to make this and test it out themselves :)

EDITED for more convenient format for everyone

« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:26:07 PM by Djdriftking »

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
Re: DIY Inflatable Bosun's Chair (belay in comfort!)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 08:48:36 PM »
Can you repost pics as jpegs?  Apple format not readable by all (save pic as “more compatible” I think in iPhoto.)