Author Topic: THIN WALL TUBE BENDER NOTES  (Read 623 times)

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
THIN WALL TUBE BENDER NOTES
« on: November 19, 2019, 05:29:23 PM »
Good bender for 6061-T6 Aircraft tubing.  Oil the bender for best results.  Biggest die is 1.125", hard to find.  Comes with 1" bender.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 06:01:22 PM by Deuce »

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
Re: Bender manual
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 03:50:46 PM »

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 05:31:11 PM »
bender reference:

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 07:16:24 PM »
Olle writes:
Hi John,
can you tell me about the 4” radius of your bender, is this center line radius or something else?
What size of round formers do you use for the metric 25 and 30 mm tubes? I can only find 1/2” up to 1-1/8” on Bramley’s website.

Cheers
Olle

>> ANSWER.  The Bramley bender is an 'old school" bender, and you need to make sure all the dies and blocks are in the right holes.  I have found the 3/4" Bramley round bender die to be perfect for bending 2024-T3 aluminum tube (1.5mm wall thickness).  The 1" Bramley bender works for 1" tube, and the 1 1/4" Bramley bender (hard to find this part), is great for 30mm*1.5mm 2024-T3 designs.  This is a great tube size for human applications.  I will post China supply on another thread.

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
Re: THIN WALL TUBE BENDER NOTES
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 06:08:32 PM »
There are a number of YouTube videos on making your own tube bender.
This one looked very interesting.  It does not show the arm you also need to bend, though it might be possible to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvMoWcs1Fz4
(unfortunately has a lot of ads).

Here is a simple design from a China custo tube bender shop.  You do not need the full 360 degrees radius to make your own tube bender.  A 120 degree section of a disc will be adequate for portaledge designs.

BIG NOTE TO MAKE SURE: "Tube" and "Pipe" are two different things.  You cannot properly bend tube on any pipe bender, which assumes a more ductile, thicker wall.  A thin wall tube bender needs a groove for the tube to move into as it gets bent.  The "slot" idea in the video above would probably work using wood as your die material, and bending 1" 0.065" tube or thicker (25mm 2.0mm).  This would be more suitable if you can only get lesser 6000 series aluminum tube.  It is much harder to bend steel tube, as the wall will generally be thinner and has a different modulus--I do not recommend.  Conduit and other types of tube/pipe not really suitable.

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 06:11:09 PM »
These two charts are essential to determine bending radius.  Generally 4-4.5" radius for 1" portaledge tube.  Bigger tube needs bigger radius, dependent on wall thickness and outer diameter.

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2020, 08:52:35 PM »
google search--lots of interesting home made solutions without having to spend for the manufactured bender.

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2020, 03:47:43 PM »
Q &A