Author Topic: Jaspers "experimental" Ledge  (Read 19 times)

Jasper.Younger

• Contributor
Jaspers "experimental" Ledge
« on: September 25, 2020, 03:48:31 AM »
On wednesday I received a ledge frame from Tasmania which was cool. After finding out it was long enough I traced the internal shape onto some old sail track sign banner I picked up out of the bin at work earlier in the year, I think this will be a pretty good fabric to learn on as feels about as tough as 1000d cordura and it laminated on one side so it doesn't fray much on the edges.

After tracing the basic shape I added about 150mm border around that shape to give me plenty of fabric to work with after I've wrapped it around the tubes. Most of the information about the measuring and making process will be uploaded in screenshots taken from my Instagram story.

Being pretty heavy I decided to go for 3 rows of stitching where the fabric joins itself after wrapping the tube I think in future or with a different fabric I'd use a thin 3M VHB tape to make the initial join and then sew through or next to the bonded part.
So my progress so far is just having the four side sleeves sewn.

The next step will making the bed tensioners at either end, I have pretty average plastic webbing buckles like what you might find on a backpack shoulder strap adjuster. While that's all I have I'll try and use them but leave myself the option to upgrade to metal later. next time I'll be making some triangular patches and trying to join webbing to fabric in a strong enough manner.

Jasper.Younger

• Contributor
Re: Jaspers "experimental" Ledge
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 04:14:37 AM »

Jasper.Younger

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 04:17:51 AM »

Jasper.Younger

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 08:17:37 PM »
I like the simplicity of a continuous loop of bungee but I feel there’s a bit wasted between the joins

What size hole would be acceptable to drill into the sides of ledge tubes😳? 1mm, 1.75mm maybe even 2?

I’ve got an idea that would be pretty annoying to assemble but could save a bit of weight in shock cord...

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VII contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 12:53:33 AM »
I don't recommend drilling any holes in the tubing.  Just use a continuous piece of 8mm shockcord, tied with a Grapevine knot.