Author Topic: ACTIVIST Fly--for Tree sits  (Read 472 times)

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VI contributor
ACTIVIST Fly--for Tree sits
« on: October 16, 2019, 05:57:32 PM »
Starting a new thread for info and feedback on the simple single seam Activist's fly for wood and bedframe tree sits.

Here is the PDF on how to make.  Folks who are making them, please post here regarding tips and any issues on making these flys for sits.  If you modified, for example making a bigger fly, please describe your methods here, so others can benefit.

thanks

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VI contributor
Re: ACTIVIST Fly--for Tree sits
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 05:59:08 PM »
Here are pictures of a recent sit in the Tarkine Sumac region, an ancient old growth forest which is threatened by imminent logging.

Photos by Tim Cooper.

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VI contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 11:53:21 PM »
Just getting some info together from feedback from the flys.

I think we should add a pull string addition underneath and a way of making the sit sit higher as a possibility.

Plus longer skirts.

From tim
Found the worded steps a little confusing (excessively complex), the images helped, I ended up drawing up the design to get the measurements (it also insured I had the centerline close to the end of the material minimising off-cuts), maybe some overall diagrams/sketches would be helpful.Something like the sketch at the end, but without the measurements/calcs, just 'length/2' etc I do tend to follow pictures/diagrams easier though.

Width of material would be good to include
Could be good to mention the type of seams earlier to allow for them in the measurements (I generally use more material when doing seams).

Need to clarify that the top clip-in loop needs to be on either side of the tarp for clipping(#carlfail)

They work so well. The rigging should be done by tensioning each individual corner with a truckies hitch so that it s easy to tension from inside-like your ledges.

E

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VI contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 12:19:50 AM »
From Erik:

Would be awesome to be able to figure a simple way to calculate higher apex to sit so that it can be taller with more space inside to hang gear etc. working on it.open source so any ideas would be so welcome. Anyone who tries it please leave feedback on the instructions so it can be doctored. The Big Canopy Campout was a huge event in Tasmania here and we had 3 sits up with these flys. Afterwards it rained- HARD- the sits and sitters are dry. It’s remarkably warm inside if a bit damp from condensation. Problem there is that the likleyhood is that they will be ultimately confiscated so it’s a tough line between how much to spend on them (time and money) for comfort.

Response:  this can be done easily by just starting with wider fabric.  Normally fabric comes in 150cm widths.  You could sew another 75cm of fabric to create a 7metre long, 225cm wide piece to start, then follow the exact same instructions, and you will have a very tall fly!

Also, regarding cost, you could cut and sew tarp material, which can be bouht cheaper than nylon fabric, and also can be wider stock.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:25:12 AM by Deuce »