Author Topic: New Members--please introduce yourself here  (Read 567 times)

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VI contributor
New Members--please introduce yourself here
« on: September 06, 2019, 04:58:25 AM »
Thanks for coming to the new BigWalls forum.  Please tell us where you are from, and what you are interested in (tips, techniques, trip reports, stories, photos, etc.).  I plan to put a lot of info about big walls of the world on this forum as reference, as well as big wall climbing gear info.  THANKS!

Sideshow Bob

• Lurker
Re: New Members--please introduce yourself here
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 05:15:40 AM »
Hey there!
Usually reside on the Sunshine Coast, Qld, Australia. Well my home is there. Always on the road for work. I'm interested in allllll the information I hope gets posted here. I have done a few walls.. none of them 'big' but I'm working up to it as and when I can. Really looking forward to what happens with this forum.
All the best to you all.
Stay safe and Climb on!! 🤘🤘🤘

AlexBarlow

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 07:06:59 AM »
Alex here, 51, I live in San Diego.

Interest in trade routes in Yosemite.

MacksWhineturd

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 09:21:57 PM »
Max, from Truckee CA.  Love that El Cap!

Sam Skovgaard

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 05:54:24 PM »
Sam, currently residing in Tucson AZ.  I do a lot of rope solo climbing around Mount Lemmon, but have yet to climb my first big wall.  I aspire to eventually solo a route on El Cap.  Currently, I'm in the phase of assembling gear, working on systems, and improving my skills in crack climbing.

Ornulf

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 06:11:22 AM »
Hi, my name is Ornulf. I am from Norway but live in the US. I have always been drawn to the walls when it comes to climbing and have a few nice ones behind me with the Troll Wall and El Cap being the two I loved the most. Thanks for the Forums John and your tech and knowledge you share.

Max

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 09:26:09 AM »
Max, from Truckee CA.  Love that El Cap!

You've got a pretty sweet name, Max

-Max, from SF

peripatetic

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 11:32:31 AM »
Hola Deuce

New member, old climber.

Scott Cole

daniel banquo merrick

• Contributor
    • DAMMERR climbing hammers
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »
I am interested in trip reports, stories, photos and climbing gear info.

Get yourself one of my hammers, a DAMMERR.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 01:54:11 PM by daniel banquo merrick »

Deuce

• Administrator
  • Grade VI contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 03:58:40 PM »
Great, thanks for checking in here!  Please feel free to start some threads!

Just deleted my FB account, needed a break--the BigWalls Forum that Munge I set up there has been great fun and positive energy, but some of the best stuff just gets lost in the infinite scroll with no way to search.

Hoping folks can help transfer some collective big wall knowledge onto this forum!  I have a few things I will be posting in the coming months and years as I organise them on my computer.

Thanks and cheers!

Ps, also let me know any issues with forum, I can tweak anyway we like, file attachment size, etc. This site resides on a secure AWS EC2 I am still configuring settings, etc.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 04:05:24 PM by Deuce »

Gav

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 06:09:28 PM »
Hello all!

My name is Gavin Bailey and I am currently living my fourth year of seasonal life having my Spring, Summer, Fall in Yosemite working at the Hetch Hetchy area of the park and spending my Winter seasons in Reno, NV.

I love hearing and talking about all things climbing and look forward to the things that I will learn from this Forum.

Keep the Stoke High,

Gav

Glenn.S.Gundersen

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 02:36:13 PM »
Hello. I am a new climber, just started climbing 20 months ago and recently started to do trad climbing. Climbed a 380m trad route last month and I am looking forward to bigger walls in the future! I am 42 years old and live om Norway. Feel a bit pressure to get more skills in a hurry because I am getting older so I climb many hours most days of the week and it is giving me the progress I wanted. Looking forward to reading in this forum and learn from people with skills and knowledge  :)

johnny

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »
Hello! Johnny here...

Originally from Finland but now in Minnesota. Lived in the US for about 15 years now. Started climbing in the early 90's but I've had a long break (16 years?). Only got back into leading trad this year but eager to get cracking again. Thankfully, it seems like it is like riding a bike... ;) Most familiar with ice, alpine, and trad rock... in that order. Looking to fulfill my dream of Big Wall Climbing. My favorite climbing partner is my 15 year old daughter Nina. Nina and I went for an awesome trad road trip this summer to the Black Hills, Vedauwoo, and Rocky Mountain National Park. We are hoping to do out first big wall, Moonlight Buttress, sometime in the near future. Looking for guidance to make sure we are well prepared in every way before we head out. :)

Barry Ward

• Contributor
    • Durango Sewing Solutions
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 10:24:26 AM »
I'm Barry Ward, the dude that makes the ledges. I work with John Middendorf building his D4 Portaledge designs. My shop is Durango Sewing Solutions.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:26:52 AM by Barry Ward »
Barry Ward

Rock Monkey

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 03:35:46 PM »
Greetings et al,

My real name is Daniel. I stopped climbing in the late 90s and was mostly and plastic climber. I returned to climbing in March 2019 at the tender young age of 49 and have been fairly consistent in climbing 3-5 days a week since. I started TRAD in June. I'm currently comfortable at a 5.8 TRAD lead.
My goal is to hit big walls and take my daughter up. I started her climbing at age 3, she's 24 now. The question is when I will do this. My plan is to hit valley X amount of times before dragging my girl up the wall. When I actually get on the big stuff is unknown at this point. I have a loose target for May 2020.
I'm hoping to be at least at the 5.9 TRAD level by then and will certainly have practiced heavily all the stuff I need for big wall e.g. aid, hauling, bivvy, multitude of logistics, etc.

Got my haul bag in the mail today. Bomb shelter arrives Wednesday. I still need some aid gear, traxion, static lines, swivels, and misc... Got a bunch of other stuff already. My rack is really close in terms of active and passive gear; some holes to fill for sure but close...

I thank all of you in advance that contribute.

-Daniel

Arrow

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 07:38:09 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Jason and I have recently started my climbing career back up after a long hiatus.  Started back around 94', mostly outdoors and trad. Always found aid climbing interesting and have been practicing systems and also have plans for some aiding up at Cathedral Ledge this fall.  Big goal is rope soloing Zodiac in the next five years.  Though I am a high school teacher so the easiest time also lines up with what seems the worst to be in the valley. Looking forward to gleaning any info I can from everyone here.

HighMtnGear

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 09:33:55 AM »
Hello!

Kyle Willis here from High Mountain Gear in Seattle, WA. I design and make climbing and outdoor equipment, and do repairs of products made out of textiles and plastics. I picked up a car load of fabric last week, just waiting on my order from YKK to get the buckles and widgets I need to get my line of products out before Christmas.

Heading out to the Valley for Sea Of Dreams in a couple days, gonna be in a D4 and bringing a couple prototypes with me to try out with it!

Wilder

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 02:16:28 AM »
Hi all,
I am based in Launceston, Tasmania. I have really only climbed one small wall and solo aided a bunch of single pitch routes. Over the year to come I am going to learn the skills and work involved in aiding a wall alone. And because I have not much more to say......here is a pic of a workhorse sewing machine I picked up at auction for $120! This little gal will enable me to sew some of my own gear including small crag packs, rope bags, duffels etc. Am always keen to hear from other people who make and modify their own gear. I hope you all have an inspired and safe year ahead!

Rich C

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 07:50:36 AM »
Hello all, I’m hailing from Seattle WA, started climbing early, at 14, after all these years you’d think I’d be better than I am at this game.

My first wall was the south face of Washington Column in 1972, then in 1974 my best bud Dave D and I did the South face of Watkins. It kicked my ass! I still love to climb and still have some modest ambitions, but at the downhill side of 68 I had best keep the goals modest.

The new gear is impressive and the spirit of the sport is as strong as ever, it’s great to see! Thanks for being here. Rich C

Stan

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 05:44:48 PM »
Hello,

I live in Bright VIC, Australia at the base of Mt Buffalo and work for one of the guiding companies here doing portaledge picnics, climbing, abseil, caving etc etc.

I am interested in trip reports, gear and innovation.  I've recently been testing the Octapod for a kayaking trip to a wall on open ocean.

Stan

Lambone

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2019, 11:46:08 PM »
Matt Lambert
Owner of Rogue Rock Gym in Southern Oregon.

Climbing in Yosemite since 1996
25 El Cap ascents, 18 different routes, 2 solos
6 Leaning Tower Ascents, 2 routes, 1 solo
5 Washington Column Ascents, 4 routes, 1 solo

Interested in chatting about bigwall climbing and sharing my experience.

Favorite recent bigwall equipment purchases.
D4 Portaledge made by Barry
Dammer Hammer made by Dan
Alfifi made by Skot

Regan

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 08:59:43 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am big wall climber and soloist. My favorite places: Yosemite, Baffin Island, Troll Wall, Scottish Mountains, Polish Tatras. You can check my FB: https://www.facebook.com/MarekRaganowicz/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Intersted in chatting about walls, stories, people, gear...

Marek

Dave Vaughn

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 05:17:16 PM »
Thanks for having me on the BigWalls forum.  I am from Southern  California ( land of Stoney Point).
I am  interested in tips, techniques, trip reports, stories, photos, etc.
Climbing for about 20 years. First wall in 2001
I hope not only to learn but also to assist in future discussions.

Also ... ordered a d4 about a week ago.  ;)

Matt Brewer

• Contributor
  • West Virginia Climber
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2019, 07:05:26 PM »
Hello:: I am Matt Brewer
I have been climbing 32 years. I have always looked to Deuce for proper style and tech. Ever since I bought his big wall book in the 1990’s. I have followed ascents one climbing in magazines. This site is the next logical step for me to informed and up to date. Regarding big wall tools and beta. John’s original big wall book taught me how to jumar sideways and clean step terrain. Tricks they never taught  any where else back.  Deuce Is willing to explain in detail. He is the link between Royal Robbins rockcraft books and modern books that flood the market. I still look to Deuce because he has the resume and the drive that inspires mere mortals, such as myself. I have been to Yosemite once and I hope 2020 will be my year for my first big wall. Im happy to be a lurker until I get off the ground.. Climbing saved my life and gave me a proper outlet to enjoy life again.